Churches of Goa,Church Goa,Churches in Goa India,Goa Church Tour,Churches Goa India

Home Goa Churches in Goa

Churches in Goa....

Portuguese colonization Church


Portuguese Church

The confiscated lands of the temples were handed over to the church and the communidades. In fact, the first Hindu temple allowed to be constructed by the Portuguese in 300 years was in 1818 at Panaji. With a significant population of Goans being Christians for many generations today, the Church is an important factor in Goa's social , cultural and religious life. For example, the contribution of the Church to education in Goa is immense. Today the churches are all part of the Archdiocese of Goa and function with its help, many are also protected sites

One of Goa's important institutions, Goa's famous and magnificent churches are largely a legacy of Portuguese colonization Church building was one of the main occupations of the early Portuguese and in fact one of Vasco da Gama's main missions for finding the sea route to India was to "seek Christians and spices". Christianity was forced upon with religious fervor by the Portuguese during the period of the "Inquisition" with wide scale destruction of temples and this continued till the official end of the "Inquisition" in Goa in 1812. Most of Goa's churches were built on the very site of former temples.

Braganza House:


Braganza House

Located in chandor Village, Barganza house was built in 17th century. This huge house is situated on one side of village square. It has now been divided into two separate houses, with a common entrance. Braganza HouseThe east wing, occupied by the Pereira-Braganza family, has a small chapel with a relic of St. Francis Xavier, which is a fingernail. The artrfacts , collected by the family over a number of years have added to the beauty of house. There is a great Salon, a large ballroom with the floor made of Italian marble, antique chandeliers from Europe adorning the ceiling, and heavily carved ornate rosewood furniture. What stands out among the furniture is a pair of high-backed chairs, bearing the family crest, which was given to thepereira-Braganza family by king Dom Luis of Portugal, Most of the furniture dates back to the 18th century and is made from local seeso, lacquered or inlaid with mother of pearl by craftsmen from Cutorim Village. For antique aficionados, the house holds many delightful finds.

Rachol Seminary And Church


Rachol Church

It was established under the sponsarship of King Sebastian of portuggal and built by the jesuites between 1606 and 1610 to train Goan priests. Later, its reputation grew as a center of learning. The Seminary church is dedicated to St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the jesuites sect. The church's most striking feature is the carved and painted wooden panel covering the sides of the chancel. One of the side alters also exibits the "Menino Jesus" that was initially kept in colva church and later shifted to seminary. It is located 7Km from Margao, near the Raia village.

Se Cathedral Church


Cathedral Church

One of the most ancient and celebrated religious buildings of Goa, this magnificent 16th century monument

Ruins of Church of St. Augustine:


Ruins church

This highly visible landmark, a 46m-high tower served as a belfry and formed part of the facade of a magnificent Church.

The Church of St. Anne at Talaulim, Ilhas:


talaulim church

Of all the churches in Goa, the most ostentious and notable for its excellent architeture is that of St Anne.

Basilica of Bom Jesus


basilica

This is the only church in Old Goa, which is not plastered on the outside, the lime plaster having been stripped off by a zealous Portuguese conservationist in 1950.

Reis Magos Church:


reis

The small hamlet of Reis Magos lies on banks of the Mandovi river and is home to two famous landmarks of Goa - the Reis Magos fort and the Reis Magos Church

St. Cajetan Church


cajetan

The large and beautiful Church of St. Cajetan, lies about half a kilometer away to the north east of the Se Cathedral, and quite near the ruins of the Viceregal Palace

Church of St. Francis of Assissi:


francis

To the west of the Se Cathedral is the former palace of the Archbishop that connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assisi.

Church of St Paul:


paul

This is the only church in Old Goa, which is not plastered on the outside, the lime plaster having been stripped off by a zealous Portuguese conservationist in 1950.